Tips for Getting Your Home Winter-Ready
December 1, 2017 |
Though it doesn't seem like it, winter will be here before we know it! And in WNY, we know that winter can linger for much too long. Here are some tips to protect your home from damage during those long winter months.
- If you have a fireplace, make sure you keep it in tip top shape with an annual cleaning and inspection. Also, check the chimney from the roof to ensure that no water or moisture is getting in.
- Check all outside water sources and make sure they are shut off. Drain all garden hoses and turn off all exterior water spigots. If you have one, cover your outdoor AC unit to prevent debris and leaves from getting inside, and be sure to drain all hoses.
- Get a furnace inspection, and make sure to replace your furnace filter every month. This will improve the efficiency of your furnace as well as improve your home's air quality.
- Install a programmable thermostat. This will help reduce your heating bill and energy usage by giving you more control over the temperature when no one is home versus warmer temperatures when home.
- Ceiling fans: did you know they have two settings? Reversing your fan blades can help keep your home warm during the winter.
- Install plastic over your windows to keep cold drafts at bay. Even though it seems silly, it really works!
- Keep blankets and warm sweaters around instead of raising the heat when you get cold - it'll save you money and energy in the long run.
- Keep things clean. Germs love warm environments and air can get stale during the winter.